Introductions — say hi!

Post your introductions, general queries or about meet ups here.
danielregan
Site Admin

Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:36 pm

Thanks to Arts Council England the Arts & Health Hub has a fancy new forum.

So this thread is for introductions! Say hello, a little bit about your practice (or organisation) etc. Welcome!

For those that don't know me I'm a photographic artist exploring wellbeing, in particular mental health. I have my own practice that involves commissions, teaching, delivering participatory arts projects & running this lovely Hub. I also run the Free Space Project, an arts & health charity based within Kentish Town Health Centre. We're at the forefront of social prescribing working in-house with the James Wigg GP practice delivering arts and community projects on prescription to our 28,000 patients.

A keen interest of mine is bringing people together from all walks of life to help support one another (instead of competing), hence the Arts & Health Hub!
Photographic artist, facilitator & leader with lived experience. Director at Free Space Project, run the Arts & Health Hub & Trustee at London Arts in Health Forum.
Naomi

Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:35 pm

Hi

I am a photographer, writer and radio show host whose photography includes portraiture and still life. The aim of my work is to be clear, compassionate and honest. I am also interested in opening new dialogues about mental health and chronic invisible illness, living with both conditions myself. I host a monthly radio show https://www.mixcloud.com/The_Two_of_Us/ on Reel Rebels Radio where I talk to writers and artists about their work and how it relates to mental health and emotional well-being.

I have been Artist-in-Residence at Culpeper Community Garden, Islington and my work has been exhibited at Ovalhouse, The Albany, Lewisham Art House, The Nunnery Gallery (as part of the Shape Open 2013), The Pie Factory, Margate and Free Space Project, Kentish Town.

I am very much looking forward to connecting with everyone

Love Naomi x
PalomaTendero

Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:41 pm

Hello Everyone!

I am a visual artist exploring inherited DNA. I studied Fine Arts in Madrid, Spain, and then I graduated from MA Photography at London College of Communication. Since then, I have been exhibiting and collaborating with different artists and projects, participating in Artist Residencies and Health and Wellbeing through the arts programs.

In my everyday job I am working in Museums and Galleries and I am also a workshop facilitator, always looking for opportunities to develop myself personally and professionally.

Have a look to my website and feel free to contact me, If you have any comments, or any enquiry regarding a new project or collaboration, or you just want to say hello!

https://palomatendero.com/
Shohpie

Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:14 pm

Hullo my name's Sophie and I'm a visual artist currently working in cameraless photography, mainly chemigrams. I look after the darkroom at the Folk House in Bristol on Park St and also run creative workshops in sunprinting, chemigrams, lumen printing and collage and zine making.

I've just completed an MA in Photography at UWE and I'm currently exhibiting my own work around Bristol. I'm interested in collaborating on workshop ideas and meeting other creatives to combine skills and make new work.

I'm also a budding drummer!

Cheers :D
danielregan
Site Admin

Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:43 am

Shohpie wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:14 pm
Hullo my name's Sophie and I'm a visual artist currently working in cameraless photography, mainly chemigrams. I look after the darkroom at the Folk House in Bristol on Park St and also run creative workshops in sunprinting, chemigrams, lumen printing and collage and zine making.

I've just completed an MA in Photography at UWE and I'm currently exhibiting my own work around Bristol. I'm interested in collaborating on workshop ideas and meeting other creatives to combine skills and make new work.

I'm also a budding drummer!

Cheers :D
I see quite a lot of overlap with the way that you work with Zara Carpenter (who'll probably join here soon!). Hope to see you next time you're in London, or I'm in Bristol!
Photographic artist, facilitator & leader with lived experience. Director at Free Space Project, run the Arts & Health Hub & Trustee at London Arts in Health Forum.
gracerosejackson

Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:16 pm

Hello all,

My name is Grace. As a day job I work in an SEN school as an art teacher.

I mainly work on personal projects in my spare time. My work is mainly working in analogue photography, such as liquid emulsion and black and white/colour printing. I work in making the personal political, and believe that art can help heal trauma faced and a way to open dialogue with topics of trauma, and mental well being.

I'm excited to connect with everyone through the arts and health hub.
EliJP

Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:41 pm

Hi all!

I'm a Photojournalism and Documentary Photography student at the University of Gloucestershire. I have a broad range of interests when it comes to photography but I'm most passionate about social documentary, and using the medium to explore themes of mental and physical health, identity and social change.

I'm still early on in my photographic career and so sadly cannot share amazing projects like those who have posted before me, but examples of some of my work can be found over at my portfolio site: https://elijohnathan.myportfolio.com/.

I look forward to seeing more of every bodies incredible art and hearing about more about the brilliant work being done by the Arts & Health Hub.

Thanks! :)
Portfolio: https://elijohnathan.myportfolio.com/
Instagram: @elijohnathan
danielregan
Site Admin

Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:04 pm

Hi Eli!

Thanks for joining us. I enjoyed looking through your website, thanks for sharing. Your project about your father jumped out at me and made me think of Tim Andrews’ project Over the Hill.

Tim was diagnosed with Parkinson’s and has asked hundreds of photographers to photograph him however they feel. May interest you.

https://timandrewsoverthehill.blogspot.com/

If we can help with anything on your studies, let us know!
EliJP wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:41 pm
Hi all!

I'm a Photojournalism and Documentary Photography student at the University of Gloucestershire. I have a broad range of interests when it comes to photography but I'm most passionate about social documentary, and using the medium to explore themes of mental and physical health, identity and social change.

I'm still early on in my photographic career and so sadly cannot share amazing projects like those who have posted before me, but examples of some of my work can be found over at my portfolio site: https://elijohnathan.myportfolio.com/.

I look forward to seeing more of every bodies incredible art and hearing about more about the brilliant work being done by the Arts & Health Hub.

Thanks! :)
EliJP

Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:51 pm

danielregan wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:04 pm
Hi Eli!

Thanks for joining us. I enjoyed looking through your website, thanks for sharing. Your project about your father jumped out at me and made me think of Tim Andrews’ project Over the Hill.

Tim was diagnosed with Parkinson’s and has asked hundreds of photographers to photograph him however they feel. May interest you.

https://timandrewsoverthehill.blogspot.com/

If we can help with anything on your studies, let us know!
Hi Daniel,

Thank you so much for pointing me in the direction of Tim Andrew's work - his project is really interesting, and I really enjoyed looking at it!
Portfolio: https://elijohnathan.myportfolio.com/
Instagram: @elijohnathan
RachelW

Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:31 pm

Hi! I'm Rachel, I'm primarily a photographic artist, although I've recently been branching out into printmaking and other art forms. My work centres on finding beauty in the unexpected, the overlooked and the seemingly ordinary; the transformation of the everyday into art through the camera’s lens.

I have long been interested in the connections between creativity and wellbeing, and the power of art to make positive change. I've trained in facilitating participatory photography with PhotoVoice in London, and have recently run my first participatory photography project with a group of parents who access services at the children's hospice where I work part time as a communications officer. The resulting exhibition, 'The H-Word', is currently touring around East Anglia, and aims to challenge common misconceptions associated with the word 'hospice'.

I'm really interested in developing this area of my work and would like to run more workshops and projects with a focus on wellbeing. I love hearing what other artists are doing in this area and am always interested in potential collaborations!

My website is www.rachelwrightphotography.com if anyone's interested in taking a look.